A Content Management System (CMS), is a Graphic User Interface (GUI) or software application that makes interacting with a website's database user friendly. There are thousands of CMS options for websites, such as Wordpress, Drupal, Wix and Grid, and all of these CMS systems work differently, allowing the website admin different levels of permission and control. CMS are typically used for Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and Web Content Management (WCM). An Enterprise Content Management facilitates collaboration in the workplace by integrating document management, digital asset management and records retention functionalities, and providing end users with role-based access to the organization's digital assets. A Web Content Management facilitates collaborative authoring for websites. Enterprise Content Management software often includes a Web Content Management publishing functionality, but Enterprise Content Management webpages typically remain behind the organization's firewall.
There are two components for both enterprise content management and web content management systems :
1) content management application (CMA)
2) content delivery application (CDA)
The content management application is a graphical user interface (GUI) that allows the user to control the creation, modification and removal of content from a website without needing to know anything about HTML, CSS, PHP, Database. The content delivery application component provides the back-end services that support management and delivery of the content once it has been created in the content management application.
Features of CMS
• Page Management : Create / Edit / Publish / Delete • Page
• Text Content Management : Add / Update / Delete • Text Content.
• Links Management : Add / Delete • Links.
• Images Management : Upload / Resize / Delete • Images.
• Videos Management : Upload / Add / Delete • Videos.
Why should I use a CMS
1. Increase efficiency : – Web Content Management Systems (CMS) fill an important role in the process of managing a website – Content can be easily publishing and efficiently as editing and revisions do not required visual design or coding knowledge. This allows for fast and efficient updates without the need of a web developer
2. Increase search engine ranking : – To improve search engine ranking CMS will help publishers to keep the content fresh. This help improving the search engine ranking and help us to invite external contribution